Should Summer Assignments Continue at CHS?

Summerwork is stressing students and taking away from their summer

Alamy

Caden Troffkin, Opinion Editor

Different assignments are distributed by CHS every summer because staff members want to keep students academically active. But does this work truly help CHS students?

This past summer, the CHS English department gave every student a bingo board and asked that they complete two different tasks on it. There was also an optional task which was to get a bingo. When students completed an entire row of activities, the library rewarded them with a bookmark that equaled a buy one, get one free coupon from Chipotle. Some of the tasks on the board including reading a book with over 100 words, watching a movie with captions, and reading a magazine.

Almost every school year lasts around 10 months. School is already long as it is and when kids finally get to summer break, they’re assigned more work to do over the summer. When schools assign summer work, it defeats the purpose of a summer break for students. The purpose of summer break is to let students relax for a couple of months and recharge for the next school year. It also relieves stress and anxiety that students face during the school year. Students shouldn’t have to worry about getting work done over summer break and just enjoy their summer before they have to go back to school.

History teacher Lory Gardner agreed, “I would rather my students experience life and bring a new perspective to my classes than an assignment they rushed to complete the first week of school.” 

Students shouldn’t have to worry about getting work done over summer break and just enjoy their summer before they have to go back to school.

Summer work does have some benefits to students though. 

Sophomore Marvin Juwillie said, “I think summer work is beneficial to students because during the summer, your schoolwork schedule is disrupted and that can mess up the habit that you created 9 months before.” 

Not completing any work over the summer can mess up schoolwork schedules, but there are ways to get back on track that requires minimal effort. 

Sam Houston State University made a list of different things you can do to get back into your schoolwork routine: “(1) a daily to-do list with a priority marked on each item, (2) a calendar with a list of tasks and appointments (often with hour by hour listings), and (3) an overall list of big projects and major tasks that are not finished.” 

Overall, students shouldn’t have to do summer work and just be able to enjoy their summer while it lasts.