Why High School Arts Deserve More

Art students work hard to create art pieces such as the one pictured above, but feel as though the arts aren't prioritized.

Samira Koraganie

Sagun Shrestha, Editor in Chief

There’s a glaring disparity between the arts and nearly all other subjects, in terms of not only funding but of public perception as well, placing many artists in a difficult place.

Though photography teacher Emily Hoponick feels as though the arts are adequately funded for at CHS, she is worried about newer technology not being able to cooperate with older models at the school.

“I think the one issue we’re going to encounter in the next two years is that the computers here at Clarksburg will not be able to handle file size from the new phones coming out, so we’re probably going to have an issue with that,” said Hoponick.

Many art styles are intertwined with technology, including photography and digital art. When technology isn’t kept up to date, it poses new challenges for artists, which are difficulties other students may not have to endure.

“I think the computers in the labs are going to have to be updated, but I don’t know if the county will pay for that,” said Hoponick. “We might have to go to a system where we are solely working through our phones and printing directly to the main printer.”

A lack of funding may also have other negative effects, such as a lack of respect when it comes to art from students’ points of view.

“So many times I will sit in the art room and see people totally disregard the materials provided to them and disrespect the teacher’s directions just because they simply see it as an elective class,” said junior Samira Koraganie.

A number of CHS art students feel as though the arts are not prioritized and are overshadowed by the support given to other subject areas like those in STEM.

“Most people don’t consider the arts [as an option] because, in their opinion, it does not have many stable future careers,” said junior Siddarth Voona. “To bridge the gap, we would have to show the careers available because most people want to see the end goal.”

Lucia Stevens
Despite what people may think, there are numerous benefits to arts based learning.

In a more technologically-driven world, it makes sense that STEM jobs are opening up, though that doesn’t necessarily mean only STEM majors can fill these up. Many STEM employers also look for soft skills, such as work ethic, self-motivation, problem-solving, as well as social, emotional and leadership skills, many of which are found in art majors.

“Art is not only a physical skill. There is a bunch of processes behind each and every work. Large businesses see that artists are some of the best thinkers when they come across a problem,” said Koraganie.

Generally, liberal arts graduates tend to gain human-centered skills and knowledge from the humanities and social studies that are complementary to the information that STEM students retain.       

Lucia Stevens
The arts often supplement a STEM education and enhances a student’s experience.

“Sometimes, large businesses will even hire art majors rather than marketing majors because of the skill of thinking through a problem and approaching each and every problem from different perspectives,” said Koraganie.

The arts shouldn’t be seen as an unappealing option for most students because of the way it has always been portrayed. Art students often graduate with critical thinking skills that aid them in most fields, so it is no surprise that they succeed. It is time that the stigma surrounding the arts starts to cease.