CHS Seniors Face College Application Season

Many CHS seniors will be applying to universities in the following months.

Google Images

Sam Eig, Reporter

Spanning the next four months, CHS seniors will embark on the journey of applying to collegiate institutions, in which they will discover where home lies for the next four years.

While the promise of being accepted to their dream school entices many, the application process is one that offers multiple paths towards being admitted.

The only binding application method, early decision, represents the admission process utilized by those who successfully identify their number one choice quickly and early. However, many grow fearful of the commitment.

“A lot of students get anxious about making that permanent commitment, but I think that anxiety is going to occur no matter when you apply,” said social studies teacher Scott Mathias.

While the agreement often produces self-doubt, it also offers relief from prolonged procrastination. Mathias added, “I applied early decision and was accepted. As a result, the rest of my senior year was stress-free.”

Despite the potential to be settled, the majority of students will choose to apply to multiple schools through regular decision to keep their options open.

“I just have too many attractive schools to sort through at the moment. I’d rather wait and choose between the schools I am accepted by,” explained senior Sohan Ganatra.

Though most students are the driving force behind their college search, some parents frequently succeed in swaying their child’s decision, especially if the financial burden falls on them.

“Many don’t consider the cost of a college degree nowadays. For some, it just makes more sense to stay local and pay in-state tuition fees,” said former CHS PTA member Lori Sperling.

Regardless of whether it’s in Maryland, CHS students and students from around the country will face the challenge of balancing financial practicality with educational preferences.

“It’s an exciting time for seniors,” said Sperling.