Our Environment Is Collapsing, Needs Action Now

The+Earth+is+suffering+due+to+rapid+climate+change++which+can+only+be+fixed+with+immediate+action.+

The Earth is suffering due to rapid climate change  which can only be fixed with immediate action.

The Earth is suffering due to rapid climate change which can only be fixed with immediate action.

Charlotte Sanford

Charlotte Sanford

Charlotte Sanford

Kara Peeler, Editor-In-Chief

Countless scientific reports have come out declaring that, without changes, the environment is likely to reach damage beyond repair. Unless people are willing to face certain doom, immediate action must be taken. 

“We only have one Earth and at some point, there is going to be a limit on how much damage we can do, and we will get to a point where the Earth can’t bounce back. I would prefer for us to take preventative action than taking reactive action, which is how it’s been historically. We wait for a problem to happen and then try to fix it,” said science teacher Judith Chinn. 

NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies reports that Earth’s average global temperature has risen about 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880. Due to the increasing use of fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions, this warming will continue to rise at increasingly alarming rates. 

Students are taking note of these issues and becoming concerned about the environment’s wellbeing. 

“I’m worried about the environment because science and first-hand experiences clearly show us that the state of the environment is on the decline,” said junior Shreya Jha. 

Others fear the ignorance and apathy evident in regards to climate change. 

“What scares me more is that some people don’t believe it’s a real thing. Those people are a minority, but they still are there, and that’s one less person to help fix what we as a society have already done,” said senior Trent Rasmussen.

Charlotte Sanford
While individuals should do their part, government action is crucial.

Today people are making adjustments in their lives, aiming to be more environmentally friendly and sustainable. These steps include reducing meat and dairy consumption, avoiding single-use plastic, or even carpooling or taking public transportation. Even popular social trends involve saving the environment; “VSCO girls” use metal straws to save the turtles and Hydro Flasks to avoid plastic water bottles.

CHS students have established a MoCo Students For Change club, seeking political change for issues such as global warming. Similarly, the SGA hosted a 30-minute walkout on Sept. 20 to graffiti the entryway of the school with messages encouraging the fight against climate change. Similarly, there was a Climate Strike in Washington D.C. on the same day. 

On the other hand, it is unlikely that individual action will be enough to resolve such a tremendous issue.

“I think ignorance and lack of action from those with power are the problems. If the wealthy and those in positions of power—such as policy-makers—started to prioritize saving our environment instead of saving money, the environment would be much better off,” said Jha.  

Everyone can do their part and make small changes, but climate change is not the hands of everyday people. It’s the corporations. Just 100 mega corporations alone produce a massive 71% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. These 100 CEOs and their corresponding country’s government have the power to make or break our one and only Earth.

Charlotte Sanford
Protestors, predominantly students, gathered in Washington, D.C. to advocate for policy against global warming.

“We should tackle it from all angles. I think education and personal actions will go a long way. There’s no way one person can fix everything, but if each of us tried to make some small changes, it would make a difference. I tell my AP environmental students all the time, it’s a start,” said Chinn.

As the youngest generation, students are the ones who will be affected the most; they will grow up in a dying world. Don’t let the world crash and burn once and for all. It’s time to fix this. 

“We caused most of these problems, and we have the capabilities to fix them; it’s a matter of whether we want to or not,” said Chinn.

I’m optimistic; it might take a while, but I am optimistic.”

— Judith Chinn