“Joker” Movie Is No Laughing Matter

The newest DC movie

The newest DC movie "Joker" starring Joaquin Phoenix has CHS moviegoers riveted.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

“Joker” Movie Is No Laughing Matter

October 25, 2019

DC Comics’ new movie Joker was released in theaters nationwide earlier this month. Joker is a psychological thriller that stars Joaquin Phoenix as the namesake lead and is directed by Todd Phillips. The story takes place in Gotham City in 1981. It is the origin story of Arthur Fleck and the events that pushed him to become the iconic villain. 

The Joker in this movie is a lot darker than previous versions earning the film its R rating. Actor Cesar Romero portrayed the Joker in the original Batman television show, Jack Nicholson was the murderous clown in Batman (the OG Batman movie), Heath Ledger famously won the Academy Award posthumously for his portrayal of the Joker in The Dark Knight, and Jared Leto portrayed the damaged criminal in Suicide Squad. Unlike the other Jokers, Phoenix’s Joker takes an insightful, dark look at how mental illness can affect someone. 

“I think, based on the trailer, he did well. But, from what I hear, he could have done better,” says CHS sophomore Nicole Torres. 

This movie has overwhelmed people with its view on the demonic qualities inside some peoples’ heads. Some audiences think that it is the greatest movie in history, while others think it should be censored for its violence and adult content. This can make people not want to watch the movie giving the movie less praise. 

“I think the movie was a good way to retell the timeless story, I don’t think the scenes were too bad but I can see how some might think so,” said CHS sophomore Ariana Covas.

Joker has received many positive and negative reviews. The film has a 68% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes while audiences gave it an 89% average. Phoenix has also received similarly mixed reviews based on his performance. 

Art teacher Kelsey O’brien expressed, “Overall I thought it was a really good quality film. It was really deep with dark qualities and I liked that. I felt really bad for him; every time people judged him on his laughing disorder because he can’t help it.”

Coyotes should definitely go and see the new Joker movie, but make sure to bring a parent or guardian.

About the Contributors
Photo of Caden Troffkin
Caden Troffkin, Opinion Editor

Sophomore Class of '22

Opinion Editor

Member of CHS Cross Country and Track teams

2nd Year on Staff