• CHS Movie Reviews
    • Todd Phillips' "Joker"
    • Joe and Anthony Russo's "Avengers: Endgame
    • Jordan Peele's "Us"
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6
    • Chapter 7

CHS Movie Reviews

October 28, 2019

“Joker” Movie Is No Laughing Matter

The newest DC movie

The newest DC movie "Joker" starring Joaquin Phoenix has CHS moviegoers riveted.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

“Joker” Movie Is No Laughing Matter

DC Comics’ new movie Joker was released in theaters nationwide earlier this month. Joker is a psychological thriller that stars Joaquin Phoenix as the namesake lead and is directed by Todd Phillips. The story takes place in Gotham City in 1981. It is the origin story of Arthur Fleck and the events that pushed him to become the iconic villain. 

The Joker in this movie is a lot darker than previous versions earning the film its R rating. Actor Cesar Romero portrayed the Joker in the original Batman television show, Jack Nicholson was the murderous clown in Batman (the OG Batman movie), Heath Ledger famously won the Academy Award posthumously for his portrayal of the Joker in The Dark Knight, and Jared Leto portrayed the damaged criminal in Suicide Squad. Unlike the other Jokers, Phoenix’s Joker takes an insightful, dark look at how mental illness can affect someone. 

“I think, based on the trailer, he did well. But, from what I hear, he could have done better,” says CHS sophomore Nicole Torres. 

This movie has overwhelmed people with its view on the demonic qualities inside some peoples’ heads. Some audiences think that it is the greatest movie in history, while others think it should be censored for its violence and adult content. This can make people not want to watch the movie giving the movie less praise. 

“I think the movie was a good way to retell the timeless story, I don’t think the scenes were too bad but I can see how some might think so,” said CHS sophomore Ariana Covas.

Joker has received many positive and negative reviews. The film has a 68% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes while audiences gave it an 89% average. Phoenix has also received similarly mixed reviews based on his performance. 

Art teacher Kelsey O’brien expressed, “Overall I thought it was a really good quality film. It was really deep with dark qualities and I liked that. I felt really bad for him; every time people judged him on his laughing disorder because he can’t help it.”

Coyotes should definitely go and see the new Joker movie, but make sure to bring a parent or guardian.

Clarksburg Reviews ‘Avengers: Endgame’

Clarksburg Reviews ‘Avengers: Endgame’

Avengers: Endgame has effectively wrapped up the Avengers franchise and broken box-office records.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel released their fourth and final Avengers movie, titled Avengers: Endgame April 26. The movie depicts the Avengers and their allies fighting to find a way to avenge half the world’s deaths and take down Thanos once and for all.

The budget provided for the production of Endgame was set at $356 million and opening weekend the movie made $357,115,007, already paying off the costs of production. Collectively since the movie released, a total of $1.6 billion has been earned. Many critics believe this is a result of the ending of their previous movie, Avengers: Infinity War.

“I have been all of the previous movies so I was excited to see the final conclusion, especially following Infinity War,” freshman Brianna Shaffer said.

Critics and fans have given Endgame an IMDb score of 9/10 and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 95%. In fact, so many fans were excited to see the movie that Endgame is now the biggest film opening worldwide since 2002.

“I don’t think that it is the best movie stand alone, but having everything together with the rest of the movies is top two partnered with Infinity War,” long-term math substitute Chris Lee said.

Due to the overwhelming anticipation of the film, many people have been trolling audiences online by sneaking spoilers into the comments of Instagram posts, or even just by purposefully messaging people and spoiling the movie entirely.

“I think it’s pretty crappy having people post spoilers online. There is no good reason to just ruin the movie for someone else,” senior Angela Grey-Theriot said.

Although the Avengers era has unfortunately come to its end, this is not the end of our favorite heroes, and especially not the end of Marvel’s creativity and production towards the movies that we all have loved and enjoyed for the past 11 years.

Nightmares Come Alive in the New Movie “Us”

Jordan+Peele%27s+%22Us%22+is+a+great+horror+movie+with+amazing+reviews+and+is+most+definitely+recommended+to+staff+and+students.+

Jordan Peele's

Jordan Peele's "Us" is a great horror movie with amazing reviews and is most definitely recommended to staff and students.

Justin Schatz

Justin Schatz

Justin Schatz

The new movie Us has audiences in shock trying to figure out what just happened.

Us is a 2019 horror film that is written and directed by Jordan Peele. This movie stars actors like Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Elisabeth Moss, and Tim Heidecker.

Just like Peele’s last movie Get Out, this one is even bloodier than before. Peele uses his love of horror to write a story about a vacationing family terrorized by a family who looks just like them. The movie has gotten great reviews because of Peele’s mix of terror, suspense, and even humor.

Because many students enjoyed the movie “Get Out” the movie “Us” was very anticipated. Many students came out to their local movie theaters once the movie came out six days ago.

“Me and some friends had seen the trailer and couldn’t wait to see it. We all loved it and it was actually scary, ” junior Kimberly Castillo said.

Of course, there are always people that think otherwise. With a budget of $20 million, some say the movie was a waste of their money and over-hyped.

“It starts off pretty solid and creepy and really pulls you in with cool visuals but halfway in it gets pretty repetitive and unrealistic,” science teacher Benjamin Tylka said.

Even though some say that they may not understand or like the confusion of the movie, Us got amazing reviews with a 94% Tomatometer from Rotten Tomatoes and a 70% audience score. Us was inspired by a dream that Jordan Peele had and he decided to make a movie out of it.

“The movie is bystanding all the horror movie white American family biases and the best part is, the movie is getting amazing reviews,” freshman Kirsten Kirkpatrick said.

Overall many students and teachers enjoyed the movie and can’t wait for another of Peele’s films.

Captain Marvel Keeps Comic Book Movies Marvelous

An overview of the newest Marvel movie

Marvel's Newest Addition to Their Roster of Superheros, Captain Marvel, adds a strong female lead to a male-dominated genre.

The Wrap

The Wrap

The Wrap

Captain Marvel is an origin story superhero movie that was released March 8. It takes place in the 1990s and follows a character named Carol Danvers (played by Brie Larsen) during her displacement from Earth.

Captain Marvel is also the first Marvel superhero movie to have a lead female character paving the way for more female-centric superhero movie such as the pending Black Widow movie.

Wired reporter Angela Watercutter said, “Everyone is free to love or hate Captain Marvel in equal measure. But to say that only women will like Carol Danvers or that her movie is just about Marvel finally doing a female-fronted superhero flick is to tie one hand behind her back—and it’s time to set her free.”

Captain Marvel starts off with Danvers having no recollection of her previous life. She soon realizes she was not from the planet Kree and was from Earth where she had connections to a secret project with a device called a “tesseract” (which Avengers fans will notice). Danvers returns to earth and meets Marvel staple character Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson).

Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a 79 percent approval rating with an audience approval of 62 percent. Some CHS students have already attended a screening of the film and most have positive thoughts about Captain Marvel.

Senior Shannon Van said, “I thought the movie was excellent and if you watch Marvel movies you have to go see it!”

As of 2 weeks ago Captain Marvel ranks 20th in best selling marvel movies of all time with it only being out for around 3 weeks.

Captain Marvel is a great movie and it fits right into the Marvel timeline. If you are planning on going to see Avengers Endgame next month, then you should definitely go see Captain Marvel first.

‘Escape Room’? More Like Boring Room

‘Escape Room’? More Like Boring Room

Escape rooms have becoming trendy hangouts recently but the movie,

Escape rooms have becoming trendy hangouts recently but the movie, "Escape Room", lacks the same enthusiasm.

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Rating:3 stars out of 5

Escape rooms are meant to be conquered so you come out alive at the end. The movie “Escape Room”, released Jan. 4, and is about a young girl and five other people who get invited to an escape room, but there’s a twist.

“It was a decent movie, however, the ending could have been a whole lot better,” junior Ambree Brooks said.

“Escape Room” could have been a great movie if it had more emotional build-up added to it. When watching the movie, it was not as intriguing as it could have been. Audiences found it just okay with a 52% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

“I felt the same emotion throughout the whole film. There wasn’t anything that they did to make me a bit more excited or keeping me at the edge of my seat,” junior Chloe Potts exclaimed.

At times the movie felt predictable; it was as if during every scene you already knew what was going to happen and that did not make the movie any more enjoyable. The actors did very well at playing their roles. You could definitely tell who was the dumb guy, or the mean girl and so on. Despite the predictability and emotional flat-line, some CHS students had good things to say about the film.

“I liked the cast; the people that were cast played their parts to a ‘T’. You could feel what they were feeling through the screen,” junior Maria Lopez noted.

On the plus side though, due to the cliffhanger ending, there will definitely be a sequel to this film. Let’s hope it does a whole lot better than the first film.  

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Breaks Gross Income Record

Avengers: Infinity War, features dozens of fan-favorite superheros and introduces the supervillain Thanos.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel released their newest and most anticipated movie to date April 27:, Avengers: Infinity War. The movie had been in the making since the first Iron Man film came out in 2008. Prior to this movie’s release, 18 other films by Marvel came out to build up the plot of Infinity War, and to introduce more than 30 characters that starred in it.

“For a movie that had to fit in 30+ different superheros, they did it very well and managed to give everyone screen time. It was amazing,” junior Alex Velasquez said.

In order to produce this super movie, Marvel spent between $300 and 400 million in production, making it the second-most expensive film ever made. Although the stakes were high with their expenses, Infinity War managed to make over $640 million worldwide, becoming the record holder for most gross income made on any opening weekend.

“I am not surprised on how much they made from this movie; it was spectacular,” junior Varsha Pathy said.

The plot of Infinity War follows the supervillain Thanos in his efforts to erase half of the universe’s population. In his attempts, he must face almost all of the superheroes in the Marvel universe, and defeat them in his battle for universal genocide.

Infinity War has earned a rating of 9.1 on IMDb, and thousands of other positive reviews and posts all over several social media sites.

“The movie draws in so many different crowds; comic lovers, movie fanatics, or people who are just curious all spent 2 hours and 40 minutes indulging in this great movie,” senior Jared Lee said.  

Marvel has been making fantastic movies for more than a decade, and those who have enjoyed those movies now have the chance to see how they all connect. If you have not tapped in to the Marvel universe, consider setting aside 2 hours and 40 minutes to enjoy the movie of a lifetime.

Black Panther impacts Black Community

Black Panther impacts Black Community

Black Panther is a great superhero movie and so much more.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

The all-new Marvel movie Black Panther had its debut Feb. 16. The movie made $242 million in box office sales over President’s Day Weekend, making it the second-highest four-day opening in movie history. If that is not impressive enough, Black Panther also received a rating of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

A significant reason why the movie has been so massively popular is because of the African American cultural representation throughout the entirety of the movie. Black Panther stars several well-known black actors such as Michael B. Jordan, Angela Basset, and Forest Whitaker, and introduces a group of young, lesser-known actors. As a result of this primarily black cast, and the various ties to American culture, the movie has gotten positive reviews from across the black community.

“I have definitely seen a wave of black pride as well as an increase of posts highlighting the achievements and success of African Americans on social media,” CHS senior Christian Marsh said.

Numerous black youth people have become inspired by this movie because of its significant representation of black superheroes, who have scarcely been seen before in the Marvel or DC comic universes.

“I’ve watched many superhero movies with my younger brother,” CHS junior Merline Broadnax said. ”This was the first one where afterward he told me he’d like to be that superhero. Not even Spiderman did that. He was so hyped, he started saying that he wanted to be the Black Panther because he looked like him.”.

Black Panther has allowed the black community to be able to change the way that they are portrayed in the media. Instead of having their main representation be African American movies about slavery or oppression, they now have had the chance to shine a light upon a movie that empowers black people and their futures, instead of reminding them of a painful history.

“In the media, black people are often falsely portrayed negatively, CHS junior Sharon Mann said. “Black Panther gives black people the type of representation that people have to undoubtedly agree is pretty amazing.”

As well as being a visually spectacular movie, Black Panther has enlightened the world about black culture and given the black community a movie with a positive reaction towards their culture. When considering what movie to see next, consider watching Black Panther for an enriching and intriguing cinematic experience.

About the Contributors
Photo of Caden Troffkin
Caden Troffkin, Opinion Editor

Sophomore Class of '22

Opinion Editor

Member of CHS Cross Country and Track teams

2nd Year on Staff

Jordan Doss, Alum

Senior at Clarksburg High School
2016-2017 Features Editor
2017-2018 E.I.C.
2018-2019 E.I.C.