Varsity Football ends the Season 3-6

Varsity Football ends the Season 3-6

Varsity football battled against strong competition this year, including Gaithersburg.

Kanetre Areewongsagul

Kanetre Areewongsagul

Kanetre Areewongsagul

Morgan Bragg, Reporter

Varsity Football ends the Season 3-6

The Clarksburg football team lost to conference rival Walter Johnson Friday, Oct. 25 by a final score of 41-28 extending their current four-game losing streak.

The Coyotes fought hard but could not overcome self-inflicted turnovers against the Wildcats. WJ improved to 7-1 while Clarksburg dropped to 2-6 with one game regular season remaining.

“We were prepared and we definitely had a chance to win,” junior quarterback Nick Bolling said. “We just tried to do too much which led to people not doing their assignments which helped turn the tide in Walter Johnson’s favor.”

Clarksburg plays its final home game of the season this Friday, and it will also be the last time the seniors will be playing in Coyote Canyon. They will be taking on Churchill (1-7) which has struggled through the 2019 season.

“This is going to be the last time that our seniors are going to play high school football,” junior lineman Tariq Lukas stated. “We need to cap our season off with a win and make sure the seniors can get their last win at home.”

Clarksburg faced a lot of tough opponents this 2019 season. Clarksburg’s only wins came at home against Walt Whitman High school and away at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High school. The Coyotes had given up 240 points and scored only 132 points through their first 8 games.

“Our team is full of a lot of tough guys. We put the work in every day so that we can show the world what we got on Friday nights. They put blood, sweat, and tears into this amazing game,” Head Coach Bob Plante said. “We need to win this game on Friday so that the seniors will have a good send-off.”

There was a bit of a hiccup in the senior game. During the 2 quarter, the generators to the entire football stadium abruptly went out. All lights on the field and in the bleachers went completely dark for around 15-20 minutes.

“We were all pretty startled about what was happening,” junior wide receiver Nick Shifflett said. “A bunch of people fell to the ground because we did not know what was going on. After the lights came back on we had a little laugh and then we needed to get back to work.”

If Clarksburg wins Friday, they will likely make it into the 4A West playoffs. They will most likely be playing at Richard Montgomery (6-2), who is the 4 seed and beat the Coyotes 34-13 earlier this season.

“We need to focus on Churchill first, then we can worry about the playoffs,” Plante said, “Our goal is to hit Churchill in the mouth, so they don’t get back up, then it will be smooth sailing. We need to make sure that our seniors have a great senior night. ”