Field Hockey Reaches 3rd-Straight Regional Final

The Lady Coyotes getting hyped prior to a big game at Quince Orchard High School.

Tony Kosiyachinda

Tony Kosiyachinda

Tony Kosiyachinda

Joe Laffman, Reporter

Despite a .500 record during their regular-season schedule, the CHS Field Hockey team advanced far into the playoffs for the third consecutive season.

Clarksburg defeated Northwest in the first round Oct. 28 to advance to the regional finals. The Lady Coyotes jumped out to an early lead versus Northwest as freshman Sydney Allen scored a goal 3 minutes into the game. The goal proved to be the game-winner as Clarksburg was able to hold that lead for almost the entire game and win 1-0.

Coach Sissy Natoli said that she felt the “team played very well” and that she felt “good” about their chances in the regional final. 

The Coyotes exhibited a great team defense limiting Northwest to only a few shots and zero goals. The team advanced to face Quince Orchard in the Regional Finals for a chance to reach the State Tournament for a third consecutive season.

Senior Jess Brown exclaimed that she was “very excited” about the regional final and was prepared for “another chance to win our region.” Clarksburg won the regional finals against Quince Orchard each of the last two years

Unfortunately, the Lady Coyotes lost to Quince Orchard Wednesday, Oct. 30 by a score of 4-0 ending their season.

Clarksburg lost a key player from last year’s State Semifinal team but proved that they are still a great team. CHS alumni Anna Bertrand, now at the University of Delaware, played a big part in the field hockey program’s success over the past few years. The team has successfully moved on, due to Allen coming in and having a phenomenal season, scoring in nearly every game.

Allen mentions that she is “very proud” of this season and is “looking forward to playing with my teammates for the next 4 years.” 

The “fockey” program has a bright future and should continue their recent success in upcoming seasons.