Girls Varsity Soccer Gains A Familiar Face

The Lady Coyotes gave their best effort in each game this season including against Wootton.

Tony Kosiyachinda

Tony Kosiyachinda

Tony Kosiyachinda

Ayanna John, Reporter

The Clarksburg varsity girls soccer team lost their opening-round playoff game 6-1 against Richard Montgomery Wednesday, Oct. 23 ending their season. 

During the game, the Lady Coyotes had a rough start but gradually were able to get better along the way. The lone goal was scored by junior Carly Evans. The team played solid defense for the most part, but Richard Montgomery had good attackers that outran the Lady Coyote defenders, allowing them to score. 

“I think playoff nervousness got to us and we weren’t able to perform our best. We also had lost to Richard Montgomery in the regular season and that could’ve gotten to our heads. This was not the best way to close out the season,” said sophomore Marvi Shroff.

The Coyotes lost to Richard Montgomery during the regular season by a score of 5-0. However, before that game, they won three games in a row against Northwest, Watkins Mill, and Northwood. It was one of the longer win-streaks in program history and the team finished with a 5-7 record. 

The Lady Coyotes transitioned to a familiar new coach this season: Scott Mathias, who also coaches Track and Field at CHS, took over after previously coaching the team years ago.

“ I liked our coach this year. He helped every player grow as a player and teammate. He always encouraged us to do our best,” said junior Maddie Riggs. 

Even though they didn’t play as well as they intended to against Richard Montgomery, they still tried their best and put their all into each game.  

“ You can always look back and know you could have played better, but they did everything they could to prepare and they tried as hard as they could. Sometimes the games don’t go your way,” said Mathias. 

Even though Clarkburg lost more games than won, they were still able to look on the bright side and think about how they each individually grew as a player and with a team.

“ I think we had a really good season. Although our record doesn’t show it, we grew so much as a team. We learned to trust and play together, ” said junior Elisa Shiblie.