Cultural Assembly Showcases Global Acts

Cultural Assembly Showcases Global Acts

The cultural assembly, put on by the MSP, consisted of performances from around the world.

Christopher Corr

Christopher Corr

Christopher Corr

Sagun Shrestha, Editor-In-Chief

CHS students from a plethora of cultures around the world gathered together and put on a series of acts depicting their respective cultures Thursday, Dec. 19. Performances represented a number of countries spanning four continents.

“It’s so amazing and interesting to see all the performers and speakers representing their culture. There are rare opportunities in our school where you can view the songs, dances, and languages of many cultures at once so it’s always a really great and enriching experience,” said senior Briana Downs.

The program opened up with a dance performance put on by the African Student Association which was meant to represent the continent of Africa.

“I think ASA did really well; we’ve been practicing for a really long time so our work paid off. We had a lot of energy and we all just did well, did our best,” said junior Joelle Sadd. “I’m really proud to represent my culture and I think everyone else was as well. I think it was just a great opportunity for us to show where we’re from and represent our cultures.”

The assembly then moved onto Asia, in which dances from three specific countries were showcased. Clarksburg Naach presented Punjabi dance, while students from Sri Lanka performed Bharatanatyam, both of which originated in India.

“We were really synchronized and we received a lot of compliments about it too,” said junior Lahiruni Dias Amarawardena. “I think the fun part about dance, I learn Bharatanatyam, is the adrenaline rush I get every time I perform on stage.”

Eternity Dance also represented the country of South Korea by putting on a K-pop style dance performance.

“Representing South Korea is always really fun and an honor. We cannot compare to the K-pop idols and groups there are today but it’s great that we were able to show a little of that culture and hopefully get people interested enough to learn more about it,” said Downs.

The next performances encompassed the Americas, with a distinctive United States style dance and an act by the step team. Then, the Latin dance team, Extreme, danced to a medley of songs with different Latin American styles.

“It’s always a blessing to represent my culture because I have very strong emotions towards it. Being Latino means a lot to me, it’s one of the reasons my passion for Latin dance came to be and has grown ever since I started and will continue to grow even after I graduate!” said Extreme senior Ethan Encinas.

The assembly was spearheaded by English teacher Tara-dee Whitely and members of the Minority Scholars Program, though this year the management was different than the past two years.

“This year I had a lot of students that I was able to give them a lot more leeway and a lot more leadership roles,” said Whitely. 

Many students and teachers called the assembly a success, though Whitely hopes to do even better during the next cultural assembly, which takes place in the spring.

“I definitely want to get more student groups and students involved that we normally don’t hear from in regards to culture and getting their culture out there and letting people know that they’re here at Clarksburg. That’s one of the main reasons why I encourage participation in the assembly, to let people become aware of the diverse cultures here,” said Whitely.