Should CHS Make the Move to a Turf Field?

Turf football fields are slowly becoming the high school norm.

SporTurf

SporTurf

SporTurf

Morgan Bragg, Reporter

Turf athletic fields instead of natural grass fields in high school have been discussed for years due to their multipurpose potential, but also the expenses to clean and manage grass fields are greater.

Turf fields could be more beneficial because with grass fields there is a higher probability of injury. With athletes planting their feet and turning with quick jerky movements it is a lot more probable for the grass to get ripped up, which then could cause injury to the athlete. But after the initial tear up of the field athletes could step into the hole that was made previously and could do a lot of harm to their foot, ankle, or knee.

“With having grass fields there is a higher chance for people to get hurt because of the unpredictability of the field’s condition,” said junior Nick Shifflett. “Also with turf, there are the little black balls that get stuck in between your clothes and in your shoes.”

With a lot of high school athletes wanting to play on turf fields they easily forget who is going to fund the time and effort to install and paint the field. But most people don’t know that it is actually more expensive to install and maintain a grass field. With the grass field, it needs constant maintenance all year round.

“With having an all-turf baseball field it would make taking care of the field a lot easier and more time-efficient,” said baseball coach Mathew Derrick. “If we had turf then we wouldn’t need to rake home plate and the wells at first and third.”

People usually forget what that the little black beads of turf are, they are recycled rubber. So turf is not only good because it is less expensive, serves a multitude of purposes, but it is also good for the environment because it uses recycled rubber.

“With the amount of rubber we are helping the environment by taking old rubber and putting it to use,” said junior Hunter Marsh. “You obviously need people to install and maintain the integrity of the turf which is good for us to be able to play and good for them to continue to work.”

Most people want to go along with the new trend of having an all-turf field but they fail to realize that there are drawbacks to turf fields as well. With turf fields, the small rubber balls constantly get into players’ clothes and equipment which can cause irritation along with other minor injuries. Also, in the hotter climates, the turf can become hot extremely fast which accelerates heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

“Playing football on the turf gets pretty annoying at times when I have to constantly take off my cleats to get the rubber balls out of my cleats,” senior Santiago Burke. “When it is towards the end of the season and we are playing on a turf field it is super hot and difficult to play with all the pads on the burning turf.”

Turf fields are less expensive to install and maintain than traditional grass fields. Also, the multipurpose potential to hold different sporting events on the turf without there being extreme changes to it.

“With turf fields, they look a lot cooler and more professional than grass fields,” said Marsh. “Not all sports should be able to have turf because of financial setbacks. Only the popular sports like football or baseball should be able to have turf.”