Extend Lunch for Students’ Sake

Students should be able to enjoy lunch without being pressed for time.

Brad W. Staley

Sam Eig, Reporter

Spanning 180 days of the year, students attend their local public school in hopes of expanding their knowledge base and skillsets, while also advocating for their future stability. To maximize their growth, the majority of students partake in multiple Honors and AP classes. What results is a schedule full of rigor that relies on self-motivation and consistency. 

Though the pursuit of self-betterment is entirely productive, it is simultaneously tiring. Perhaps this is why the short stint of time students are given for lunch is so cherished.

“Lunch gives me a chance to take my mind off of whatever stressful work I’m doing in my classes. It’s definitely the most relaxing part of my school day” said senior Philip Del Sordi.

The ease that the lunch block provides facilitates a more fruitful second-half of the day. However, and unfortunately, the time constraints of a 41-minute lunch period leave much to be desired among fellow classmates. 

“There are a lot of assignments I need to work on during lunch. I also have questions for teachers. As a result, I am left with very little time to eat, which makes it feel like lunch never really happened,” explained senior Sohan Ganatra.

For those that spend seven or more hours per day shuffling from class to class, a mere 41 minutes is somewhat demoralizing. High-achieving students should be able to seek academic help, while also enjoying a meal and social interaction.

Despite the theoretical benefits that teachers may enjoy with a longer break, some cannot help but feel skeptical at such a prospect.

ESOL teacher Kelly Cedillo proclaimed, “I think lunches are plenty long as is. Most students fail to take advantage of the extra time. Instead, they socialize and often participate in mischief.”

There is no denying that some students will cause disturbances. However, discouraging the mutuality of academic persistence and healthy social relationships is counterintuitive to the overall purpose of going to school. 

To grant students just a few more minutes during lunch, would be to promote the development of a well-rounded, young adult.