Mamba Mentality

Kobe’s Legacy Lives On With Thousands of Basketball Fans

Before they clinched the division against QO Jan. 29, the Girls Varsity Basketball team honored the passing of Kobe Bryant and the 8 other victims from a helicopter crash.

Claudette Eader

Caden Troffkin, Opinion Editor

Athletes around the nation have been honoring legendary NBA basketball player Kobe Bryant over the past three weeks. LeBron James and the Lakers team hosted a pregame ceremony in the first game they had since Kobe passed which included a video tribute featuring Kobe narrating some of his career highlights. Following the video, the team had a moment of silence for 24.2 seconds to honor Kobe and his daughter, Gianna Bryant’s numbers.

Locally, the CHS girls’ varsity basketball team had a moment of silence for Kobe before their game against Quince Orchard. 

Sophomore Mia Smith said, “We did it because Kobe was not only a role model to the basketball family but to many communities and we wanted to honor him for that.”

Kobe and his daughter Gianna both died in a helicopter crash along with seven other victims. Kobe had a huge impact on the NBA and on aspiring basketball players worldwide. CHS 

Junior Drew Moore said, “Kobe taught me to love what you do in life, and to always give your all.” 

Kobe won two Olympic gold medals for the US in 2008 and 2012, he’s fourth on the NBA all-time scoring list with 33,643 points, and he also won 5 NBA championships all with the LA Lakers. 

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Kobe Bryant representing his jersey number at a home basketball game.

Off the court, Kobe was named as the global ambassador for the 2018 FIBA (The International Basketball Federation) Basketball World Cup along with former basketball player named Yao Ming. Kobe also won the Oscar for best animated short film in 2018 for “Dear Basketball”, a film based on his retirement letter sent to The Players Tribute in 2015. In the short film, Kobe explains his love for basketball which started when he was younger and how much basketball has affected his life.

Kobe inspired people all over the world and had a huge impact on some people’s lives. 

As Bryant once said, “The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.”