Reigning Over the Region

Girls Basketball Wins First Region Title in Program History

Kyle Wannen

The girls varsity basketball celebrates after winning the first regional title in program history Wednesday 3/4.

Morgan Bragg, Reporter

The CHS varsity girls basketball program made history Wednesday by winning the first regional championship in school history. They defeated a talented Quince Orchard team by a final score of 75-44.

After a disappointing knockout in last year’s regional finals, this year’s players wanted a redo in the regional finals. The Lady Coyotes exploded out of the gates to take a 21-8 lead after the first quarter and then never looked back.

Sophomore guard Mia Smith led the team with 18 points and 11 rebounds and junior guard Kaleah Boykin finished with 15 points. All five starter finished in double-figures while playing shut-down defense against the Lady Cougars.

“We beat a really good RM team but we needed to take it one team at a time,” said senior captain Miki Howson. “We had to fight hard and knock QO out of the playoffs. We all have the same goal in mind: make history and make it to the state championship.”

Regional champions are reseeded before the start of the state tournament and Clarksburg earned the #5 seed meaning they travel to Western High School in Baltimore tonight for the state quarterfinals.

Play Hard and Smart fundamental basketball…and we use the acronym… “TWIX” ~  “Together WE Instill X-cellence” as our motto all season,” said Coach Cecilia Natoli. The Lady Coyotes ended the regular season with an overall record of 16-4 while being led by the three captains Howson, Smith, and Boykin and getting key contributions from a young but deep bench.  

The girls started off the season extremely hot with winning 11 in-a-row. With a few bumps in the road, they pushed their way to an undefeated record in division play and a division championship for the second year in a row. 

“We are really happy to have earned another division title,” said junior guard Anaya Martin. “We work really hard at practice everyday and deserve to show our skills on game day.”

Now the Lady Coyotes face one of their toughest challenges while driving an hour north to face the 15-3 Western HS squad.

“The coaches are so proud of our team and we hope to continue this great ride in tonight’s State Quarterfinals against Western HS from Baltimore,” Natoli added.