Clarksburg Community Salutes Senior Athletes

Despite Quarantine, Friends and Families Recognize a Lost Season

Joanna Bragg

The three baseball seniors lined up to be recognized by the Clarksburg community Wednesday along with every other senior spring athlete.

Morgan Bragg, Reporter

Three Clarksburg baseball seniors: Nathen Proctor, Bailey Arensmeyer, and Andrew Abrams, and all CHS senior spring athletes missed their final high school season due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak the spring seniors were not able to play their last games. Wednesday, the Clarksburg community piled into their cars and trucks to show their support. With all of the spring sports seniors lined up on the side of the road next to Wilson Wims Elementary, the Clarksburg community drove by honking, yelling, and thanking the seniors for being athletes at Clarksburg, while also wishing them luck for their future.

“I thought the parade was cool and weird at the same time,” Proctor stated. “It was cool to see everyone from the community come out and support the spring seniors when we couldn’t play our last games of high school.”

In the preseason rankings, CHS baseball was ranked 24th in the state of Maryland for both public and private schools according to PrepBaseballReport.com. Being ranked 24th is the highest that the Clarksburg baseball program has been ranked in the school’s history.

“I feel like we definitely earned our top 25 spot,” Arensmeyer stated. “The whole team put everything they had into every game and practice so we could be the best team possible.”

One of the seniors, Abrams, has committed to pitch and possibly play outfield at Salisbury University starting in the fall.

“I am very excited to continue my baseball career but I’m disappointed that I couldn’t play my last season,” Abrams stated. “We had great chemistry and all played so well together that we would have definitely made a states run.”

With all three seniors being able to pitch Clarksburg now has to look to underclassmen to try and make up all of the lost talent.

“I feel that all three seniors were special players,” Coach Mathew Derrick stated. “Trying to replace them will be very difficult, but I feel with the talent that we have coming back, we will be able to compete again at a high level.”