The Bright Side Brightens Moods With Feel Good Stories

Luke Evenson

The Bright Side is show developed by juniors Ryan Aparicio and Luke Evenson to bring cheer to the student body.

Sagun Shrestha, Editor-In-Chief

In the midst of school closures due to the Covid-19 outbreak, CHS juniors Ryan Aparicio and Luke Evenson teamed up to provide the Clarksburg community with some positive news through a new show called The Bright Side.

“Every week, the student body and the community submit good stories and events in their lives to share with everyone. We want to bring some smiles and happiness to everyone during these stressful times,” said Aparicio.

Aparicio serves as anchor, reading out loud the good news that the community provides on camera.

“So the google form is posted, it’s sent out by Mr. Owusu, people submit their responses to it, and what Mr. Trumbull does is that he gathers all the information and writes out a script for me,” said Aparicio. “When I get that script I edit the script to however way I want. I record myself reading the script and I give all the videos to Luke.”

Evenson acts as tech director, cutting clips and putting them altogether in order to make sure the video runs smoothly, as well as adding in the special effects and text indicating a change of topic.

“I get Ryan’s amazing videos and I pick the good ones that he does and I compose them, put it all together in Premiere.” said Evenson. “I made the intro for the announcements in the beginning of the year and I did a couple other things for that, so Mr. Trumbull was excited when I was on this.” 

Originally the idea for the show came from the Wellbeing and Support Committee, formed by the leadership team consisting of teachers. 

“It was a combination of many people’s ideas,” said social studies teacher Daniel Mulcahy. “The people responsible for the idea were myself, Mrs. Long from the English department, and then I got Mr. Trumbull involved, who is in charge of the TV production class.”

Originally starting out as just the Good News Forum, a google form to submit cheerful stories, there were ideas to create an advisory like video comprising different slides, which later evolved to become The Bright Side. 

“We weren’t really sure how it would go, we sort of had the idea, and then Mr. Trumbull worked with the boys on what it should look like, and Mr. Trumbull has been phenomenal, he’s been really great, honestly, on this, so the kids took it and ran with it and we’ve been so impressed. They’ve done a great job,” said Mulcahy.

As the show goes on, Aparicio and Evenson hope to open up The Bright Side and make it a bit more interactive, as they’re looking to expand and attract more attention from the student body.

“So what we’re trying to do is have students more involved in a way, so maybe have challenges students could do to make it more interesting for the students, for now it’s been teacher centered. But yeah, have more things that the students can tune in and be like ‘oh, that’s cool,”’ said Aparicio.

The idea behind The Bright Side has been consistent between the creators of the show, in that they hope the community is able to find some sort of solace during these unprecedented and difficult times.

“[The goal is] probably to spread some positivity and we wanted to do something that wasn’t just pointless,” said Evenson. “So we could have made it terrible but we didn’t, so that’s the main point.”

This time period has been difficult for everyone, and so The Bright Side was created with that in mind, in the hopes that positivity will counter at least some portion of the negativity that has been floating around thus far.

“The ultimate goal or purpose was simple really. It was just to try and create an outlet for happiness and positivity in the negative and sad times we’re living in,” said Mulcahy. “So just to increase the happiness by putting something like this together, an opportunity to share some of the good news in our lives.”

To watch the first episode of The Bright Side, click here.