BTS connects with fans through their virtual concert

Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Dick Clark Productions

BTS pictured at Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve Celebration.

Nia Nkansah, Reporter

The South Korean boy band BTS (Bangtan Boys) hosted an online show, and fans were eager to tune in.

Earlier this year, BTS announced their ‘Map of the Soul: 7’ world tour scheduled to kick off in late-April. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the band decided to postpone the gig and push the dates until further notice. Fans worldwide expressed their emotions through various social media platforms, and the majority felt dejected.

“It was quite upsetting,” said senior Jaylene Nkansah. “I was looking forward to seeing them live for the first time.”

Noticing that their fans —better known as “ARMY”—were in low spirits, the group sought out a remedy. As a result, the boys and their management label, Big Hit Entertainment, released the surprising news about a live stream titled “BANG BANG CON” on April 9. The live stream took place on YouTube, where they broadcasted footage from concerts they had years ago.

“As a longtime ARMY, it felt nice to watch their old performances and feel the excitement all over again,” proclaimed sophomore Alima Fasih. Their supporters greatly appreciated it, but the fun did not stop there.

“BANG BANG CON: The Live” was then held on June 14, two months after the initial event. The summer concert was a massive success since it set a Guinness Record for the Most Viewers of Livestream Concert, accumulating 756,600 views from 107 regions and territories.

“BTS continues to push the envelope for what’s possible for virtual concerts in the era of COVID-19 and beyond,” said Mike Schabel, CEO of Kiswe. 

Other famous artists hosted virtual performances for their fans. Singer-songwriter Billie Eilish performed her “Where Do We Go?” tour on October 24 through a live stream. Sam Smith will also perform live at Abbey Road Studios to celebrate their upcoming album, Love Goes.

Chemistry teacher Lori Martioski-Taylor shared her thoughts, saying these events don’t offer the same feeling a live concert would but are “the safest options we have for now.”

Just recently, the boys performed live during their third online concert called Map of the Soul ON:E. BTS went to their social media to announce the big news to their fans on August 12. According to Billboard, the event was split into two days: Saturday, October 10, at 6 a.m. EST and Sunday, October 11, at 3 a.m. EST. 

“We felt bad that the concert could not go as planned in this unexpected situation, so we prepared this un-tact event,” said the band’s leader RM.

The source also mentioned their month-long virtual exhibition that started October 13th and will end on November 12. Tickets for the production can still be purchased through BTS’ Weverse Shop

“Even though I was exhausted while watching the concert, it was worth staying up for,”  sophomore Kayla Cohen said. 

Even more ARMY from Twitter shared their opinions on the show.

“Vibing to ‘Outro: Ego’ was one of the highlights of the concert. I love them so much,” said user @miniewthluv.

Clarksburg’s K-Pop dance crew Eternity Dance had a few words to say about the concert as well. One of the members, Stephanie Alas, who’s currently a junior, gave her input on what she thought of it.

“You could tell that they worked hard to give us their best. BTS made sure to have fun while performing and entertain ARMY at the same time,” Alas said. “The concert helped to cheer up fans through these tough times, and we couldn’t have been more grateful for them.”