BTS Shocks The World With Their New Album ‘BE’

The+members+of+BTS+posted+the+first+concept+photo+for+the+album+on+their+official+Instagram+on+Oct.+19.+

BTS' instagram

The members of BTS posted the first concept photo for the album on their official Instagram on Oct. 19.

Kayla Cohen, Reporter

BTS is a group of seven guys from South Korea who are smashing records with their music all around the world. The group has officially released their third album of 2020, and here’s what you need to know about the masterpiece.

The album, titled ‘BE’, contains eight tracks including “Life Goes On,” “Fly to My Room,” “Blue & Grey,” “Skit,” “Telepathy,” “Dis-ease,” “Stay,” and lastly “Dynamite.” With “Life Goes On” gathering the most attention due to it being the title track. 

The septet officially released the album along with a new music video Nov. 20. The music video for the title track (“Life Goes On”) garnered 71.6 million views on YouTube within the first 24 hours of its premiere. Making it the fifth-largest debut for a music video in YouTube history. 

The track “Life Goes On” is a song directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The lyrics in the song convey the message that even though society is dealing with a global pandemic we must continue on with our lives. The song also gives hope that the pandemic will soon be over and we will go back to life as we knew it. 

Bonnie Tran, a  student in 9 grade at Clarksburg high school said the title track “was calming which” she “genuinely needed due to the recent pandemic.” 

The “Skit”, an audio recording of the group’s reaction to their first number 1 ranking on the Billboard Hot 100, for their song “Dynamite.” “Dynamite” debuted at the number one spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, and held the spot for a total of three weeks. 

“Dynamite”, the final song on the album, is the group’s first all-English song and was released Aug. 20 along with a colorful and vibrant music video for the song. “Dynamite’s” music video was able to gather over 100 million views within 24 hours of its release, securing its place as the largest music video debut in YouTube’s history. 

The members of BTS pose during the recording of the music video for the song “Life Goes On”. Photo from Big Hit Labels YouTube channel.

The album was described as “a letter of hope” by the members of BTS. The group has expressed that the album is supposed to comfort fans in the midst of the current pandemic and provide hope for those affected.

Srimayi Ganesuni a senior at Clarksburg high school stated that the album brought her “some joy and excitement” while at home during the pandemic. While Ren Sibug another senior at Clarksburg high school said that the music was “uplifting” and “moving” 

The BTS fan base, A.R.M.Y., is one of the most dedicated fan bases in the world. There was a strong push on various social media platforms in order to get the band a number one spot on the Billboard 200 chart and the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Fans encouraged each other to stream the entire album as well as purchase the tracks from various music platforms in order to achieve their goals. 

The album ended up debuting at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, and the title track (“Life Goes On”) debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The song Dynamite also shot back up to number three on the same chart, causing BTS to have two songs simultaneously in the top ten on the chart. This is something that has only been achieved a handful of times in the chart’s history. 

All of the songs on the album debuted on the hot 100, with Blue & Grey at number 13, “Stay” at 22, “Fly To My Room” at 69, “Telepathy” at 70, and “Dis-ease” at 72. “Skit” was the only track from the album that did not debut on the Hot 100. 

All of the songs charting on the Hot 100 is a massive accomplishment for the group and their fan base. Since the group got little to no radio play on the album’s first week, these spots on the chart were secured almost solely with sales and individual streams. 

Billboard reported that the album garnered 240,000 sales in the U.S. within the first week of its release. The album was sold digitally and physically, the physical album costs about $50. 

Fans that purchase the album will receive 8 photocards; one of each member and one of the entire group, as well as a group polaroid photo. Each individual member is sitting in a room in which they chose the decorations and furniture. 

The album also contains a photo book consisting of over 100 photos of the members. Some of the photos contain color and others are black and white, but they are all crisp high-quality images. Buyers will receive not one but two posters inside of the box, one poster is a picture of all of the members standing together in a group. The other poster has the lyrics to the songs on one side and personal notes written by each member to their fans on the other. 

J-hope, one of the BTS members, poses for a photo in the new album, “Be”. Photo from BTS Instagram.

The album is packed full of collectibles for fans, but that is out of the ordinary for a BTS album. The group is known for their complex albums, which causes many fans to look at the physical albums as collector’s items.

The reviews of “Be” have been overwhelmingly positive, and with the group being nominated for a Grammy, topping the Hot 100 chart, and gathering millions of sales fans cannot wait to see what the group will accomplish next. The seven guys from South Korea are definitely a group to look out for in the upcoming years when it comes to music.