JJCP Rock Unveiled

Football Team, PTSA, and Community Dedicate Memorial to Fallen Teammates

Coach Larry Hurd helped dedicate the JJCP Memorial at the Coyote Canyon Sept. 1, 2016.

Kyle Wannen

Kyle Wannen, Staff Adviser

Dozens of CHS athletes and students, parents, staff and community member gathered at the Coyote Canyon last night to honor the four CHS students who passed away in the last 12 months.

The skies opened up in a brief downpour around 5:20 PM and football coach Larry Hurd commented that it was like the boys were acknowledging the attendees with their tears of love.

Just after the 5:30 PM dedication, the skies cleared and the sun began to shine as tears turned to smiles for the people attending the memorial unveiling.

The memorial rock sits next to the Coyote statue in the stadium and reads “Clarksburg Strong Cary Greene, Jacob Dennis, John DeReggi, Patrick Shifflett 2015-2016.”

Friends and family gathered around the memorial and shared memories and loving thoughts about their classmates after it was unveiled.

Hurd also announced that the captain for tonight’s game against Churchill High School will be junior Steven Shifflett along with the spirits of his brother Patrick, Dennis, and Greene. DeReggi will be leading the Blue Brigade student cheering section in spirit.

Before the unveiling, PTSA President Jaimie Jacobson said a few words about the Clarksburg Community and the reasons behind the memorial. Then parent Ibi Sofillas read a letter from Hurd to the young men.

As the dedication came to a close, those in attendance raised four fingers above their heads to once again honor the four boys who were lost.